Friday, June 13, 2008

Last Days



The last two days in Paris have been a little sad, as tomorrow we leave. We have accomplished virtually everything that was on our list of must sees and had many other unexpected adventures. We made some new friends, had some great food, drank some good wine, saw great art, experienced great music, saw grand monuments and best of all shared wonderful times together. It has been a joy traveling with Carol. She has been easy going and undemanding. She has shared some of her special places in Paris with Keith and me, and we feel enriched by experiencing them with her. She has truly help make this trip an unforgetable adventure. I am only jealous that she gets to stay another two weeks.

Last night we had dinner with an old friend - Chantal. She was our guide on our first trip to France in 2004. It was great to see her again. She announced that she is pregnant with her second child and it will be a boy. She seemed very happy, and has moved away from Paris. She continues to run tours from time to time. Seeing her again seemed to complete the circle, connecting the begining and end of the two trips.

Earlier in the day we visited several churchs and stopped for a snack. This toast is to David, as we were drinking a Riesling wine (one of his favorites). We were not mulling over Christmas selections for APM. It was taken at a little café near St. Eustache Church.


For me the last day has been contemplative. It was a quiet day, and we each kind of went our own way. Keith went off to the park to read and I went for a walk through our neighborhood, looking for things that I may have missed. I found myself drawn to the Seine. I sat on the bank and read for a bit. The water swiftly and quietly swirled past me. The boats passed by, filled with tourists anxious to discover the city. It was just less than two weeks ago and I was in the same place. I understand their anticipation, but I no longer feel it. I came to the conclusion that I have not missed a thing. I saw all that I needed to. I feel full from the experience. It feels bittersweet to feel so satisfied and yet to know that there are so many things here that I will miss.

I left the river and walked over to Notre Dame. This church seems central to the spirit of Paris. I am not a regular church goer, and certainly have my share of problems with organized religion. Somehow this church embodies more than the politics and dogma of religion. It attracts nearly every visitor to Paris at one point or another. Despite the burdens that the institution has bestowed on countless people through tithes or small minded thinking it has great history, and somehow I feel tied to that. It reminds me about my experience at the Marie Antoinette exhibit. Most of the visitors were French and seemed intensely interested in all of the artifacts on display. There was pushing and shoving to get close and examine every detail. I expected bitterness for Marie Antoinette. The revolution was so violent. Yes, the monarchy was cruel and unjust to the people and needed to be removed, but there is still pride and connection to the historical value of the time. I guess I feel the same way about Notre Dame. Afterwards I felt that I had revisted the most important places that Paris holds for me.


This last shot is of the Seine on our walk home one night. We had been out rather late, and the lights on the river looked magical. I know that the wine helped the moment, but it still looks magical to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tour of Paris and thank you for sharing our thoughts and special moments. It made your trip very special and personal to all of us. P.