Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A day of fine art and music

Musée D’Orsay



Could life be better? Fine art and good music, a good day indeed. After a early breakfast we were off to Musée D’Orsay. This museum was constructed in a huge railway station (Gare). It was transformed into a museum in 1974. The structure itself is impressive, not to mention it’s contents. The openness of the building provides a unique display for some of the greatest art in the world. The collections cover the years 1848-1914, and spans the styles of Neoclassicism through Impressionism. It is not an experience that I can adequately describe.



Art and music appeal to me on a level that I find difficult to put into words. When I read a review, or someone else's interpretation of music or art, I do not connect. Art is personal, it affects me at the core, it touches the emotions without the pre-screening of the intellect. Some people like to think that it appeals to a higher nature of humanity. I feel that it touches the baseness of our emotions that are common to all individuals.


The museum allows non-flash photography, and I took many pictures. I have included a few here, only to represent some of the great works that we saw. You really have to see the artwork to appreciate it fully.


This piece "Dancing at the Moulin Rouge" was painted by Toulouse-Lautrec for a dancer to promote her new show. The painting changed hands many times and was divided up into 8 separate sections. You can see some of the section lines. The state purchased them and rejoined the fragments.








This piece by Gustave Caillebotte entitled "The Floor Scrapers" captures such detail in depth and reflection. It is considered part of the impressionist period, but to my untrained eye seems much more realism.





After many hours of browsing the art collection, we stopped for lunch in the Museum restaurant. The room we had lunch in was classically beautiful. It reminded me of the French restaurant at the Culinary Institute in Hyde Park. The atmosphere was formal, but the service was quick and efficient.













The shadows and faces of this painting seem to tell a story. I don't recall the artist or title, but it struck me as significant.


























The last piece by Vincent Van Gogh is rather famous - Starry Night











This is a small sample of the many painting that exist in the museum. There are also many sculptures and other decorative arts in the museum. It is a must see in Paris.


After the museum we stopped and enjoyed a carafe of wine (or two). Then, as planned, we stopped into St. Severin church for a free concert. We were pleasantly surprised by the performance of "The Capella of Calvin College". When we entered the church we carefully sat near the edge so that we could inconspicuously leave, if necessary. Once they started, there was no question. We were staying for the entire performance. They were good. Please pardon my whispering at the beginning. I was taken aback by their sound. They perform "hope, faith, life, love" by Eric Whitacre.
The video was just too big to post, sorry. But here it is on YouTube.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch1xLWD2xn4

1 comment:

Steve said...

I am really enjoying your postings, Tom. Thanks for sharing with us all. I'd like to hire those men to "scrape my floor" if you could get me a phone number please. Such a hot day....
Love to Keith and Carol
Steve